During the boredom of staying a lot at home in 2020, I got inspiration from @infrahumano to start playing around with a certain mechanism of pattern generation, outlined in his blog post (in Spanish) https://infrahumano.github.io/exterior/2020/04/04/noche.html. After that, we started a long thread in which we went along making improvements, suggestions to each other, and a lot of experimenting seeking to make these patterns look nicer. He then made a new post with such results (in Spanish) https://infrahumano.github.io/exterior/2020/04/05/noche.html.
The premise is simple, with a grid-paper, start flipping coins, to put alternating lines, as shown here, this is the original tweet that inspired @infrahumano to start working on this:
As promised, here is @maths_kath’s #mathartchallenge!— Annie Perkins (@anniek_p) March 29, 2020
Based on traditional Japanese stitching, this is a riff on hitomezashi patterns. Using grid paper, give each line (vertical & horizontal) a 0 or 1. (See pictures below, too,) “Stitch” each line accordingly. #mtbos #mathart pic.twitter.com/6i0zYx2rI4
I followed these steps and also created a vertical and horizontal mirroring of the grid. The next step once the grid was complete, was to fill the cells with different colors using the good old Breadth-First Search algorithm! My first results were something like this:
After such nice first results, I kept playing with more strategies to select colors, increase resolution, etc, and these are some of the best results: